What happened when I put off cleaning the AC for 3 summers

An electricity bill in hand and a window AC unit
๐Ÿ“– Home Diary · Ep. 3

What happened when I
put off cleaning the AC
for 3 summers

The day the electricity bill arrived, I checked the number three times.

✍️ PanSol Team|๐Ÿ“… Summer 2025|⏱ 8 min|๐Ÿท AC · Electricity · Mold
3 yrs
How long I delayed cleaning
+78%
Electricity bill increase
₩380k
Money wasted over 3 years

Let me start with a confession.

In the 3 years I've lived in this apartment, I never once cleaned the AC. "I'll do it next month" repeated every summer, and before I knew it, 3 years had passed.

And this summer, that bill arrived. The electricity bill. I checked it three times.

· · ·

Year 1 summer — no problems

2022
Two months after moving in · new AC
✅ All fine

When I moved in, the landlord installed a new AC. The technician said, "Clean the filter once a year." I said "sure, sure" and moved on.

That first summer was truly cool. Five minutes after turning it on, the room was chilly, and the bill was reasonable.

"This works fine without cleaning the AC. Can't I just leave it?"

That thought was the start of 3 years of regret.

· · ·

Year 2 summer — there were signs

2023
1 year 2 months after moving in
⚠️ Signs begin

When I first turned on the AC, there was a musty smell. I caught it for a moment, then it seemed to fade. I figured it was just the smell of being off for a while.

July's bill was ₩12,000 higher than the year before. "Did the rate plan change?" I wondered.

Looking back now, the signals were already there. The musty smell on startup, the longer cooling time, and the slightly higher bill.

But I ignored them. Too busy, too lazy, figured it was nothing.

"The AC's probably just getting old. It's still cool, right?"

Right. It was still cool. Still.

· · ·

Year 3 summer — it really began

July 2024
2 years 2 months in · AC cleaned 0 times
๐Ÿšจ Past the limit

It took 15 minutes to cool down after turning on the AC. In year 1 it was 5 minutes.

The smell no longer faded. The more I ran the AC, the stuffier the room felt.

And in the third week of July, I noticed small black specks flying out near the AC vent.

Black specks were flying. At first I thought it was dust. When I caught them in my hand, they were something else.

"Wait, is this... mold?"

In that moment, the 3 years came back to me. The fact that I'd been running this and breathing for 3 years came back to me.

· · ·

And then the bill came

At the end of July, the electricity bill text arrived. I saw the number, put the phone down, then picked it up again. Looked again. And again.

I checked three times.

๐Ÿ“„ July 2024 electricity charge statement
July usage
187,400
won
Same month last year ₩105,600 · two years ago ₩98,200

Same month last year it was ₩105,000. Two years ago ₩98,000. This year it was ₩187,000.

Almost double. Same home, same AC, same summer.

๐Ÿ” July electricity charge over 3 years
July 2022 (yr 1 · new)₩98,200
July 2023 (yr 2 · filter fouling starts)₩105,600
July 2024 (yr 3 · mold appears)₩187,400
Estimated 3-year cumulative overcharge~₩380k

When the AC filter and interior get clogged, cooling efficiency drops. When efficiency drops, the compressor runs longer and harder to hit the same temperature. It uses more electricity. The longer you skip cleaning, the more expensive your bill becomes — by design.

"For 3 years I didn't save by skipping AC cleaning — I was paying more every month in electricity."
· · ·

I contacted PanSol

The next day I opened the PanSol app. I connected with an AC-cleaning specialist partner. Two days later the partner came.

๐Ÿ”ง The day of the partner's visit
Partner
"When was your last cleaning?"
Me
…Never, since installation.
Partner
He paused for a moment, then asked, "May I take out the filter?"

The partner opened the indoor unit cover. He took out the filter.

I'll never forget that moment.

INSIDE THE AC — what came out of a 3-year-uncleaned unit
⬛
A 1cm-thick dust layer covering the entire filter face. The originally white filter had gone past gray to black.
๐ŸŸค
Brown and black mold blooming on the heat exchanger. It had spread even inside the louvers where the air comes out.
๐Ÿ’ง
Murky water pooled in the drain pan. Traces of mold growing on the moisture.
๐ŸŒซ️
"If you run it in this state, mold spores get released straight into the room." — the partner's words
For 3 years I slept with this running.
· · ·

I calculated the loss

After the partner finished cleaning and left, I pulled out the calculator. Exactly how much had I wasted over 3 years?

๐Ÿงฎ The real cost of delaying AC cleaning for 3 years
Year 2 July excess bill (yearly cumulative)~ +₩7,400/mo
Year 3 July excess bill~ +₩81,800/mo
Summer 3 months × 3 years cumulative overcharge~₩287,000
Deep-cleaning cost after 3 years of neglect₩98,000
If cleaned yearly (₩30,000 × 3)₩90,000
๐Ÿ’ธ Real loss (electricity + deep clean − routine cleaning)~₩295,000 lost

I wasted nearly ₩300,000. One AC cleaning would have been ₩30,000, but I skipped 3 years and paid ₩300,000.

"It wasn't that I skipped cleaning.
I paid for it in electricity instead.
Far more expensively."

Home Diary — Episode 3
· · ·

So here's what I do now

I asked the partner what to do from now on. The answer was simpler than I expected.

❄️ The yearly routine that protects your AC's life and your bill
  • ๐ŸŒธEvery May, self-clean the filter before first use. Take the filter out, wash it with water, dry it completely, then reinsert. Takes 30 minutes. The bill savings show up immediately.
  • ๐ŸŒžOnce a month in peak summer, check the filter. Dust builds fast when run times are long in summer. Just taking it out once a month to look gets you halfway there.
  • ๐Ÿ”งEvery 2 years, a pro interior cleaning. You can wipe the filter yourself, but the heat exchanger and drain pan need a pro. A 2-year cycle stops mold before it takes hold.
  • ๐Ÿ‘ƒIf you smell something, act that same day. A musty smell on startup = a mold alarm. Once the day passes, you forget again. The day it smells is the day to act.
  • ๐Ÿ“ŠIf your bill is up 10%+ from last year, check the AC first. Reduced AC efficiency is the most common cause. When the bill looks off, suspect the AC first.
· · ·

This summer was different

The first time I turned on the AC after cleaning, the room cooled in 3 minutes. It felt like year 1's summer had come back.

The August bill text came. This time I only looked once.

๐Ÿ“„ Aug 2024 electricity charge — first month after cleaning
August usage
103,200
won
Previous month ₩187,400 → ₩84,200 saved

In one month it dropped by ₩84,000. The ₩98,000 AC cleaning cost was almost recovered in a single month.

❄️

Even now, every May I take out the AC filter.
Last year it was a chore, this year I just do it.

Because I remember that ₩187,000 bill.

๐Ÿ“Œ The electricity figures in this post are reconstructed from real cases. They may vary by housing environment, AC model, and usage patterns.
๐Ÿ™ PANSOL

Book an AC cleaning today,
and this month's bill changes

Verified partners · Upfront quotes · Safe escrow · Completely free during beta

Book an AC cleaning now →
▶ NEXT EPISODE · Ep. 4
"I thought the boiler was fine — the truth about pre-winter checks"
The difference between homes where the boiler bursts in November and homes where it doesn't
›
◀ PREV EPISODE · Ep. 2
I tried to replace a faucet and nearly flooded the whole apartment
The story of blowing an entire Sunday afternoon after watching one wrong YouTube video
‹

๐Ÿ’ก Send this to someone who keeps putting off their AC cleaning

#ACCleaning #SaveElectricity #ACMold #ACFilterCleaning #SummerElectricityBill #HomeDiary #PanSol #ACMaintenance #HomeCareTips #ACSmell #ElectricityBillShock #ACCleaningCycle
aza club

A Guide to Sound Wealth Growth! A Funding Platform for Businesses and Individuals!

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post