I thought the boiler was — the truth about pre-winter checks

A winter dawn, a boiler showing an error code
๐Ÿ“– Home Diary · Ep. 4

I thought the boiler was fine
— the truth about pre-winter checks

The difference between homes where the boiler bursts in November and homes where it doesn't.

✍️ PanSol Team|๐Ÿ“… November 2024|⏱ 9 min|๐Ÿท Boiler · Winter heating · Preventive maintenance
3 days
Days survived without a boiler
-7°C
Dawn temperature the day it broke
₩220k
Saved if checked in advance

All through October the boiler was fine. The heat came on warm, hot water worked, no strange sounds.

So I did nothing.

November 8, 2:17 AM. I woke up from the cold.

· · ·

2:17 AM, temperature -7°C

November 8, 2024
AM 02:17
Seoul · first cold snap of winter · outdoor temp -7°C
๐ŸงŠ First cold snap

It was strangely cold. I pulled up the blanket but my feet were freezing. The floor was cold.

I looked toward the boiler. On the temperature display, instead of a number, something else was flashing.

I got up and moved closer.

๐Ÿ”ด BOILER ERROR
2024. 11. 08 · AM 02:17
E3
Ignition failure · heating stopped
Outdoor -7°C · indoor dropping to 14°C

E3. Ignition failure.

I pressed the reset button. Click. A hum — then E3 again. Pressed again. E3 again. I pressed it five times.

"What do you do when the boiler dies at 2 AM?"

There was nowhere to call. I pulled out a thick coat, put it on, and sat on the sofa. That night was long.

· · ·

8 AM, I started making calls

As soon as day broke, I made calls. The boiler maker's service center, the neighborhood boiler shop, a technician I knew. The answer was the same.

"It's November now, so we're fully booked. Earliest would be the day after tomorrow, or maybe later this week."

It was November. When November's first cold snap hits, boilers act up in countless homes across the country at the same time. It wasn't just me. The repair technicians were already booked solid for 3-4 days.

๐Ÿ“… Morning of Nov 8 — repair booking status (real inquiry results)
Boiler maker A/S center4-day wait
Neighborhood boiler shop3-day wait
PanSol partnerAvailable tomorrow morning
With emergency dispatch feeAvailable this afternoon

In the end I booked through PanSol. This afternoon carried an emergency fee. Still, coming today was better. The indoor temperature had already dropped to 12°C.

· · ·

The partner opened the boiler

The partner came in the afternoon. He opened the boiler cover. He looked inside and went quiet for a moment.

I knew that wasn't a good sign.

INSIDE THE BOILER — what was found in a 5-year-unchecked boiler
๐Ÿ”ฅ
Igniter completely worn out. The ceramic rod that makes the spark had worn down so no spark jumped. The direct cause of this home's boiler death. The replacement cycle is usually 3-5 years, but it had never once been checked.
๐Ÿชจ
Excessive scale buildup on the heat exchanger. Lime from tap water accumulated over 3+ years. Heat-transfer efficiency had dropped by over 40%. The reason the boiler had to run longer and harder for the same temperature.
๐Ÿ’จ
Dust caked on the exhaust filter. Combustion gas couldn't escape properly — signs of incomplete combustion. If worse, it could lead to a carbon monoxide problem.
๐Ÿ’ง
Insufficient expansion tank pressure. Normal is 1.0-1.5 bar, but it was 0.3 bar. The cause of the boiler repeatedly shutting off mid-operation. There were probably signs from last winter already.

The partner said:

"Everything here except the igniter could have been caught in a pre-check. Honestly, if you'd had it looked at once in October, this situation wouldn't have happened."

I didn't want to hear it, but he was right.

· · ·

The same month, the difference between my neighbor and me

After the repair, I met a neighbor in the hallway. When I asked how they'd been, they said:

"I got the boiler checked in October. They said the pressure was a bit low and fixed it — thanks to that I had no problems in this cold snap."

Same building, boiler of similar age. What made November different wasn't the boiler. It was the difference in what we did in October.

❌ My home — no check
Nov 8, 2 AM
boiler stopped
  • ๐ŸฅถIndoor temp dropped to 12°C
  • ๐Ÿ˜“3 days living in a coat
  • ๐Ÿ“žDawn emergency dispatch request
  • ๐Ÿ”งIgniter·scale·pressure repaired at once
Total: ₩286,000
✅ Neighbor — October pre-check
All of November
nothing happened
  • ๐Ÿ”Found low pressure in October
  • ๐Ÿ”งTop-up + basic cleaning
  • ๐ŸŒก️Normal operation all through the cold
  • ๐Ÿ˜ŒNo waking up at dawn
Total: ₩65,000
๐Ÿงฎ Real cost of no check vs. checking in October
❌ Actual spending (November emergency repair)
Igniter replacement₩95,000
Heat exchanger scale removal₩75,000
Exhaust cleaning + pressure top-up₩46,000
November peak-season emergency surcharge₩40,000
3 days of cafรฉ refuge + electric blanket~₩30,000
✅ Estimated cost with an October pre-check
Full boiler check + basic cleaning₩45,000
Pressure top-up + exhaust cleaning₩20,000
๐Ÿ’ธ Amount I could have saved by checking early~₩221,000

A boiler is checked while it looks fine.
Once it's broken, it's already too late.
And November is always too late.

Home Diary — Episode 4
· · ·

Looking back, the signs were there

After finishing the repair, the partner asked, "Did you have any of these symptoms this fall?" Then he listed four things.

With each one I nodded. They were all there. I'd just ignored them.

๐Ÿšจ Signs before a boiler fails — see these and check it immediately
!
Reaching the set temperature took longer than last year.A sign combustion efficiency is dropping from scale buildup or a weakened igniter. Gas costs rise with it.
!
The boiler repeatedly turns on and off.A classic symptom of low expansion-tank pressure or an overheat-cutoff sensor problem. Left alone, it leads to a full stop.
!
On startup, it clicks more than usual.The igniter is worn and trying to ignite multiple times. I had this too and brushed it off as "it's always been like that."
!
The pressure gauge needle sits below the green zone (1-1.5 bar).Just glance at the gauge on the boiler's front. If the needle is in the red or below 0.5 bar, an immediate check is needed.
!
Gas costs are up 10%+ from the same month last year for no reason.A less efficient boiler uses more gas for the same temperature. When the bill looks off, suspect the boiler first.
· · ·

Here's what I do now

After that winter, I fixed one date on the calendar. October 15 every year. The day to book a boiler check.

Why the 15th? Because it's the safest day to finish before November arrives. The partner told me: "From late October, bookings are already flooding in."

๐Ÿ”ฅ Prepare your boiler before winter like this
  • ๐Ÿ“…Book a pro check by mid-October. Bookings flood in from late October. Book before October 20 at the latest and you can get your preferred date.
  • ๐Ÿ”ดCheck the pressure gauge yourself. Make sure the round gauge needle on the boiler front is in the green (1-1.5 bar) zone. If it's in the red, an immediate check is needed.
  • ๐ŸŒก️Do an empty-house test before running heat. Before the first cold, turn on the heat once during the day and check the temperature rises properly. If there's a problem, finding it during the day is far better.
  • ๐ŸšฟCheck hot water too. If hot water cuts out or the temperature swings a lot, it's a heat-exchanger problem. Often the signal shows up in hot water first, even when heating seems fine.
  • ๐Ÿ“‹Remember the last check date. If you "can't remember when you last checked," do it right now. A boiler's average life is 10-15 years, but unchecked it won't last even 5.
· · ·

This October was different

After that winter, I booked through PanSol on October 14 this year. The partner came. He checked for 30 minutes, cleaned off some scale, topped up the pressure, and left.

The cost was ₩65,000.

November came. This year I didn't wake up at 2 AM.

๐Ÿ”ฅ

A boiler that looks fine is the most dangerous.
October, when nothing seems wrong,
is the only month to act.

When November comes, everyone gets busy.
Your home's boiler included.

๐Ÿ“Œ The repair costs and wait times in this post are reconstructed from real cases. They may differ by boiler model, installation environment, and region.
๐Ÿ™ PANSOL

Book a boiler check
before November arrives

October bookings have the most room · Verified partners · Upfront quotes · Completely free during beta

Book a boiler check now →
▶ NEXT EPISODE · Ep. 5
"I decided to sell the house — the story of how home repairs became the home's value"
The one thing the agent told me, the thing the buyer asked first
›
◀ PREV EPISODE · Ep. 3
What happened when I put off cleaning the AC for 3 summers
The day the electricity bill arrived, I checked the number three times
‹

๐Ÿ”ฅ Send this to someone who keeps putting off their boiler check

#BoilerCheck #WinterHeatingPrep #BoilerFailure #ColdSnapReady #BoilerMaintenance #HomeDiary #PanSol #BoilerCleaning #SaveOnHeating #WinterHomeCare #BoilerLifespan #IgniterReplacement
aza club

A Guide to Sound Wealth Growth! A Funding Platform for Businesses and Individuals!

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post