The house my father fixed

The house my father fixed — Our Home Diary
๐Ÿ“– Our Home Diary · A story of fixing a house

The house
my father fixed

All his life, my father picked up tools instead of words.
The day we fixed that house again, we understood.

✍️ PanSol Team|๐Ÿ“… 2025|⏱ 12 min read|๐Ÿ“– Reconstructed from a true story
32 years
The house my father lived in
Hundreds of times
Things my father fixed
Not once
Did he ever call a company
A Saturday in March 2025
Two months since Father entered the care home
๐Ÿ”‘ The house I opened alone for the first time in 32 years

My hand trembled as I turned the key.

The house my father lived in for 32 years. The house we moved into when I was in 2nd grade, where I lived until I graduated high school. The house I came back to every holiday, even after I married.

The moment the door opened, the smell came first. The smell of wood, of old wallpaper, and of Father.

"At first I didn't know why I was crying. I just stood in the doorway for a long time."
· · ·

My father never once called a company

Since childhood, I took it for granted that my father fixed things. When a faucet leaked, Father fixed it. When a door creaked, Father fixed it. When a fluorescent light went out, when the wallpaper peeled, when the boiler button wouldn't obey. Father fixed it all.

"Dad, shouldn't you call a company to fix that?" I once asked.

I can't remember what he said. Probably he didn't answer, or said, "It's fine."

My father was a man of few words.

All his life, my father never once
said "I love you."
Instead, he picked up his tools.

That this was his way, we understood far too late
· · ·

Walking through the house, I found my father

I went to clear out the house for my father, who was in the care home. Thinking I might have to fix the old things and rent or sell it.

But in every room, in every corner, there was my father.

๐Ÿ“ Under the bathroom sink
A pipe wrapped in tape
Duct tape was wound thickly around the pipe joint. A pro would click their tongue at it. Yet for 32 years, it never leaked.
"It probably leaked when I was in middle school. Father must have fixed it then."
๐Ÿ“ What used to be my room, by the window
A hole in the wall filled with putty
White putty had hardened, sticking out a little. In high school I once punched a big hole knocking a nail into the wall, and I never knew when it got filled. It was just gone one day.
"I don't think I even said sorry back then."
๐Ÿ“ Under the kitchen sink
A shelf propped with a piece of wood
When the sink shelf tilted to one side, Father carved a wood piece to exactly that height and propped it. With no nail, fixed by friction alone, yet it didn't wobble at all.
"How long did this take? Just to carve this one piece of wood."
๐Ÿ“ Beside the living-room boiler
A valve with a handwritten note
A pen note on yellowed paper was taped there. "Don't turn this clockwise all the way. Gently." The handwriting was Father's. I must have once accidentally shut the valve too hard.
"He didn't scold me — he just put up a note."
๐Ÿ“ The shoe-cabinet door at the entrance
Cardboard wedged behind the hinge
When the shoe-cabinet door creaked, Father folded cardboard and wedged it under the hinge to level it. The cardboard had yellowed. It was old.
"It was the oldest one. It might have been there before I even came to the house."

Wandering room by room, I slumped onto the living-room floor. In the very spot where I used to sit as a child.

"So this house had so many broken places. And my father had fixed so many of them."

Only then did I understand. That the house being fine was not a given. That it was fine because someone kept quietly fixing it.

· · ·

I never once said "thank you" to my father

When Father caulked the window gaps, I watched TV in my room. When Father filled the cracked bathroom tile with cement, I was on the phone with friends. When Father glued the peeling wallpaper, I had already left the house.

My father never complained.

He never once said, "I fixed this."

He never once said, "It was hard."

He just fixed it. And sat down at the table as if nothing had happened.

That day, I cried alone in the living room for a long time. There wasn't a specific reason. It just felt like I had to cry. When there are things you realize far too late, maybe a person just has to cry.

· · ·

For the first time, I called a company

I wanted to fix this house properly. The things my father had somehow held together alone all his life — this time, the right way. The way my father couldn't.

I opened the PanSol app. I put my finger to the chat window.

Pipe leak, shoe-cabinet hinge, boiler check, window caulk... there's a lot to fix. It's a 32-year-old house. My father fixed it all alone, but now he can't come anymore.
PANSOL AI
Your heart must be heavy. Don't worry. Even a 32-year-old house — if it's a house long loved, it can surely be fixed. I'll connect you with the nearest partner to your location.

A partner came. He said his name was partner Lee. A man who looked to be in his mid-50s. His age was close to my father's.

He walked through the house in silence. He saw the duct tape on the bathroom pipe, the cardboard behind the shoe-cabinet hinge, the wood piece under the kitchen shelf. He said nothing.

It was near the end of the work.

Partner Lee
Your father was skilled. That taped joint lasting 32 years... that's no ordinary thing. He wound it at exactly the right angle.
Is that really such a big deal?
Partner Lee
I've done this work for 20 years. Just winding it won't hold. You have to know the direction the water flows and wind it that way. Your father must have studied a lot... or thought a lot.

Hearing that, tears came again.

My father didn't just wind the tape. He wound it thinking about the direction the water flowed. So it wouldn't leak. So it would last. So we wouldn't know.

"Or thought a lot."

The partner's one remark echoed in my ears all that night
· · ·

Now this house waits for my father

All the repairs are done. The pipe no longer leaks. The shoe-cabinet door opens without a sound. The boiler will be warm this winter too.

Yet strangely, the house felt unfamiliar. It became clean and tidy, but somehow it felt like a bit of my father's smell had left.

Leaving through the entrance, I looked back.

The shoe-cabinet door stood straight. Where the cardboard under the hinge had been gone, a new screw was driven in.

I gazed at that spot for a long time.

Only now did I understand how big a thing that one small folded piece of cardboard my father had wedged in really was.

My father in the care home is still silent. When I hold his hand, he just lets it be held. When our eyes meet, he nods slightly.

Last time I went, I held my father's hand and said,

"Father, the house is all fixed. Now you can come home."

Father said nothing. He just gripped my hand tightly.

That was my father's way. Always.

๐Ÿ 

A house isn't made of walls and a roof alone.
It's made by the hands that fix, wipe, and keep it.

That those hands are love,
we learn far too late.

But still we learn. In the end.

๐Ÿ“Œ This piece is a reconstruction blending fiction and nonfiction based on a real experience. Characters' names and details have been altered for protection.
๐Ÿ™ PANSOL

We fix your precious home,
the right way

Plumbing·boiler·electrical·cleaning — we do everything your father did alone · Completely free during beta

Connect with a pro for free →
▶ Next story · Our Home Diary
"On our 10th anniversary, the power suddenly went out"
A bittersweet 10th-anniversary memory
›

๐Ÿ’› If this reminds you of your parents, please share

#Father #StoryOfFixingHome #OurHomeDiary #FamilyStory #TrueStory #PanSol
#Parents #HomeRepair #ExpressingLove #HomeInfra #HomeRepair #MovingBlog
aza club

A Guide to Sound Wealth Growth! A Funding Platform for Businesses and Individuals!

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post