Trying to replace a faucet, nearly flooded the whole place

Water dripping from a faucet
๐Ÿ“– Home Diary · Ep. 2

Trying to replace a faucet,
I nearly flooded the whole place

The story of blowing an entire Sunday afternoon after watching one wrong YouTube video

✍️ PanSol Team|๐Ÿ“… April 2025|⏱ 7 min|๐Ÿท Plumbing · DIY fail · Faucet
Sunday, April 13, 2025.
Seoul · Clear · 2 PM
๐Ÿ’ง A dripping bathroom faucet — this was the fuse

Every disaster began with one small sound.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

That sound from the bathroom faucet. The one that sounds especially loud when you lie down to sleep at night. After enduring it for about a month, today I finally made up my mind.

"I bet I could fix this too."
· · ·

YouTube search: "Faucet replacement DIY in 10 minutes"

870,000 views. The comments were full of "I did it too!", "Easier than I thought!", "No tools needed!"

I watched the video three times. My confidence swelled. I went to the neighborhood hardware store and bought a washer set, a wrench, and coating tape. ₩18,000.

Faucet washer set — ₩6,500
Adjustable wrench — ₩8,900
Plumbing coating tape — ₩2,600
Total: ₩18,000  /  I thought this was all it would take.

Back home, I rolled up my sleeves. In the video it looked really easy. First, shut the water valve. Detach the faucet handle. Replace the washer. Tighten it back. Done.

"Why pay to call someone for this? It only takes 10 minutes."
· · ·

2:47 PM, everything went wrong

I shut the valve. Or rather, I thought I did. It was the moment I detached the handle.

Water poured out.

It wouldn't stop. The valve I'd closed wasn't for the bathroom faucet — it was the sink's. The plumbing layout of the home in the video and mine were different. I only realized that in that moment.

My hands froze.
The water kept pouring.

2:47 PM · the bathroom floor began to fill

I laid down towels. They soaked instantly. Water began pooling on the floor. It seeped out under the bathroom door. I scrambled to find the auxiliary valve under the sink. I barely found it and closed it. The pressure weakened but didn't fully stop.

"This isn't right, this isn't right, this isn't right."
· · ·

I started looking for help

I called a neighbor. No answer. I called the building office. On Sundays there's no manager. I texted family. "Do you know how to do plumbing?" The reply came much later. "Nope lol call a company."

I searched "Sunday plumbing emergency repair" on Naver. I called four places.

"Sundays are night rates. Base ₩70,000 plus extra costs..."
"We're on a dispatch now, earliest is two hours from now."
"That's not our area."
"Leave a text, we'll call when we check it." — no call

Meanwhile the bathroom floor filled to 1cm. All four towels were soaked. The edge of the living-room carpet started getting damp.

"Why did I do this on a Sunday, me."
· · ·

I took a photo and sent it to PanSol

I'd installed the PanSol app after Episode 1. But I never thought I'd use it like this.

I opened the chat and wrote honestly. Embarrassing, but urgent.

I took the faucet apart to replace it and the water won't stop. The bathroom is flooding. I'll send a photo ๐Ÿ˜ฐ
3:12 PM
PANSOL AI
Sending a photo helps me grasp the situation faster. If you can shut the main water valve (next to the meter) now, please do that first. If it's hard to find, I'll locate it from the photo.
[Photo sent — disassembled faucet, water pooled on the floor]
PANSOL AI · Photo analysis complete
Confirmed. The auxiliary valve under the sink isn't fully closed. In the photo, turn the T-valve below the left pipe fully clockwise. That will reduce the flow.

A plumbing-specialist partner is on standby 0.9km from your location. Rating 4.9 · 15 years' experience. Shall I connect now?
Yes, please connect. Quickly ๐Ÿ™

I turned the T-valve all the way as the AI instructed. The water shrank to a trickle. For the first time, I breathed.

· · ·

3:29 PM, partner Park arrived

The moment he arrived and saw the bathroom, he said nothing. He looked at it for a while.

"So you tried it yourself."
It wasn't criticism. Just a matter-of-fact tone confirming a fact, which made it more embarrassing.

"You bought the washer correctly. But on this model, you have to shut the auxiliary valve first before disassembly. The structure is different."

He pulled out his tools. Shut off, disassemble, replace washer, reassemble. It took exactly 18 minutes.

"If you'd called first,
it would've been ₩28,000."

Partner Park — after finishing the work

Those words were funny and painful at once.

Final repair-cost settlement

๐Ÿงพ Receipt comparison · 2025.04.13
❌ What I spent (DIY attempt)
Hardware store tools·parts₩18,000
Wet towel laundry (est.)₩3,000
Lost Sunday afternoon (priceless)—
Subtotal₩21,000+
✅ PanSol partner repair fee
Dispatch fee (Sunday daytime)₩20,000
Washer replacement labor₩8,000
Total₩28,000

Calling from the start would've been ₩28,000. Trying it myself then calling made me ₩49,000.
The difference is ₩21,000. The hardware-store tool money flew away entirely.

· · ·

What I learned that day

๐Ÿ’ก DIY vs pro — call in these cases
  • ๐Ÿ”ดWater-related repairs — valves, pipes, faucets. Don't touch if you don't know the structure. It leads to flooding.
  • ๐Ÿ”ดElectricity-related repairs — outlets, breakers. Mishandling means fire or shock.
  • ๐Ÿ”ดGas-related repairs — boilers, gas stoves. Never do these yourself.
  • ๐ŸŸกSmall wallpaper/paint jobs — YouTube is enough. Failure isn't fatal.
  • ๐ŸŸขBulb swaps, AC filter cleaning — definitely do it yourself. No need to call a pro.
๐Ÿ”ง

Courage is a good thing.
But courage in front of plumbing
sometimes becomes the most expensive courage.

๐Ÿ“Œ This post is a story reconstructed by mixing fiction and non-fiction based on real experience. Character names and details have been dramatized.
๐Ÿ™ PANSOL

Before fixing it yourself,
ask first

One photo lets a pro judge · We'll even tell you if DIY is doable · Completely free during beta

Connect with a pro for free →
✅ Photo analysis✅ Transparent quotes✅ Sunday dispatch✅ Free beta
▶ NEXT EPISODE · Ep. 3
"What happened when I put off cleaning the AC for 3 summers"
The day the electricity bill arrived, I checked the number three times
›
#PanSol #FaucetReplacement #PlumbingDIYFail #DIYRepair #FaucetRepairCost
#PlumbingRepairCompany #WaterLeak #BathroomRepair #HomeRepair #HomeInfra
#HomeDiary #HomeCareTips #DIYCaution #RepairCostComparison #SingleHouseholdRepair
aza club

A Guide to Sound Wealth Growth! A Funding Platform for Businesses and Individuals!

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post