๐Ÿ” Partner Stories · Meet an Expert

An expert's hand diagnosing an AC, wiping sweat
๐Ÿ” Partner Stories · Meet an Expert

He hears a sound and
knows where
it hurts

A seventeen-year-old with no diploma, no license —
how he became a heating·cooling meister with 20 years' experience.

๐ŸŽ™ PanSol Interview Team|๐Ÿ“… Summer 2025|⏱ 11 min read|๐Ÿ“ท Close-up interview
20 years
AC·heating/cooling experience
4,200+
Completed jobs
★ 5.0
PanSol rating
❄️
Partner Ko (54)
AC·heating/cooling·boiler specialist · 4th-year PanSol partner
20 years' experienceAll of Seoul4,200+ completed★ 5.0 perfectSound-diagnosis expert

Our first meeting was on a villa rooftop in midsummer. The temperature was 36°C. He sat alone with the outdoor unit's panel disassembled, listening. There was no sound at all. The machine was off.

"What are you listening to?"

"I just turned it off. There's a sound it makes when it shuts down. When it's normal it cuts off cleanly, but this machine took 0.3 seconds longer to cut off. The compressor valve has weakened."

He didn't even take out his diagnostic gear. He knew from a single sound.

· · ·

He left school at seventeen

He first held a tool at eighteen. When he was a high-school junior, his father collapsed. It was a stroke.

"I couldn't keep going to school. I had an older brother, but he had to work too, and I had to look after my younger siblings."

He got a job at a neighborhood heating·cooling company. There was only one reason.

"A man from the same neighborhood worked there. He said he'd feed me. I didn't even know what an air conditioner was."

That was 1989. Now it's 2025.

At first it was work I took to survive.
At some point I didn't notice,
this work became my reason to live.

Partner Ko — during the interview
· · ·

He knows the language of machines

When 20 years pile up, the ear changes. He said he distinguishes the sounds an AC makes into 47 kinds. I asked if he was joking.

"I counted. Really. I wrote them down. Not exactly 47, but around that. Each sound means something different. The machine can't speak, so it expresses itself through sound."
๐Ÿ”Š
"Screech" high pitch
Fan bearing wear. Left alone, the whole fan needs replacing in 2–3 months.
๐Ÿ’จ
"Sssh" wind sound
Indoor filter clog. A sign the electricity bill will rise 30%.
๐Ÿ”ฉ
"Rattle" vibration
Loose mounting bolt. Neglect risks the outdoor unit falling.
๐Ÿ’ง
"Drip drip" water sound
Reverse-slope drain hose. On the verge of spreading to a ceiling leak.
⚡
"Hummm" low resonance
Compressor overload. Low refrigerant or unstable power.
๐ŸŒ€
No sound
The most dangerous sign. The compressor may already have stopped.

"Can all this be memorized?" I asked.

"It's not memorizing. It's hearing. Fix over 4,000 of them and the body remembers. What you memorize and what the body knows are different things."
· · ·

What he says about being an expert

"Isn't not having a license a complex for you?" I asked carefully.

He was silent longer than I expected. Then he spoke slowly.

"It used to be. When explaining to a customer, I felt like I had nothing to back me up. But not now. A license means you 'learned,' not that you 'know.' I've fixed 4,000 of them. That's my license."
๐Ÿ“Œ Partner Ko's expert philosophy
  • 01Machines don't lie. If there's a symptom, there's always a reason. I never wrap up until I find that reason.
  • 02Fixing it isn't the end. It's only real if, after fixing, you explain to the customer why it broke. Being called back for the same reason is my failure.
  • 03The field is the classroom. I couldn't finish high school, but I've been to 4,000 sites. What I learned there is more than any textbook.
  • 04Accurate comes before fast. A job finished in 30 minutes that breaks again a month later is worse than one that took an hour.
· · ·

We asked Partner Ko directly

What was the hardest part of doing this work for 20 years?
My body. In summer it's 40°C on rooftops, in winter near freezing in basements. Hands crack, knees wear out. Past 40, the body stops listening. But I decided that mustn't become a reason to quit. A tired body and disliking the work are different things.
Conversely, why do you keep doing this work?
Because I see a home come alive with my own eyes. A hot house whose AC was dead becomes cool after I fix it. That change happens right before me. It's different from 30 minutes ago. When I worked at a company, there was none of that. I couldn't see what I'd done.
Has anything changed since working at PanSol?
Reviews. Before, once a job was done, that was it. No one told you if you did well or not. At PanSol the customer writes it themselves. The first time I got a review it felt awkward — getting a star rating at 54. But now it's my report card. I want to keep getting 5-star report cards.
· · ·

Three years ago, he was dispatched to an elementary school

It was about an hour into the interview. I asked, "Is there a job that stays with you most?"

He lowered his head for a moment. Then he took out his wallet.

It was July three years ago. An urgent call came from an elementary school in Eunpyeong-gu, Seoul. Three ACs in the 6th-grade classrooms stopped at once. It was two days before final exams.

The temperature that day was 38°C.

The electrical load hit all at once, tripping the compressor protection circuits. All three had the same cause, but each needed a leak check, a wiring inspection, and a resetting of the sequential-startup circuit. He handled all three, one by one, alone. It took three and a half hours.

When cool air began to circulate in the classrooms again, the children waiting in the hallway came in.

"As the kids came in they said 'it's cool.' Just hearing that... something rose up in me. I can't explain it. It just did."

The next day the school's admin office called. The homeroom teacher wanted to pass something along.

Inside the envelope was a small note.

It was the handwriting of a 6th-grader. Pressed firmly with a pencil.

"Thanks to you, sir, I took my exam in the cool. I'll study really hard. Thank you."

He put that note in his wallet. Three years later, it's still there.

๐Ÿ“ July 2022 · Eunpyeong-gu elementary, 6th grade
Thanks to you, sir,
I took my exam in the cool.

I'll study really hard.

Thank you ๐ŸŒŸ
— From Lee, Class 4, 6th grade
* The original, kept in his wallet for 3 years

"Why do you still have it?" I asked.

He slowly folded the note again and put it back in his wallet. Then he said,

"I couldn't go to school, you see. I really wanted this child to. They said they'd study hard... so I think they're doing well. Just — I like that thought."

I couldn't finish school,
but this child's exam was cool.
That's enough.

Partner Ko — folding the note again
· · ·

We asked a final question

As the interview neared its end, I asked one last thing.

"How long will you do this work?"

He smiled. For the first time today, he smiled.

"As long as my body allows. There's still a lot to fix. Somewhere there'll be a home with no working AC, someone enduring the heat. I have to go to that person."
❄️

He'll be up on some rooftop today too.
With his ear turned to it.

A man who hears the sound a machine makes
and makes a home breathe again.

With one worn note in his wallet.

๐Ÿ“Œ This interview is a reconstruction based on a conversation with a real PanSol partner. Names and some details were altered for privacy.
๐Ÿ™ PANSOL

An expert like Partner Ko
is near you right now

4,200 jobs of experience · an expert who knows just by listening · completely free during beta

▶ More partner stories
"From 6 AM to 10 PM — a day with a partner"
A record of the day he was dispatched to a grandmother's cold home, -9°C, day five
›

๐Ÿงก If you know a real expert, please share this post

#MeetAnExpert #ACExpert #HVACMeister #PanSolPartner #Craftsman
#MovingStory #PartnerStories #HomeRepairExpert #SoundDiagnosis #HomeRepair #PanSol #LifeInfra
aza club

A Guide to Sound Wealth Growth! A Funding Platform for Businesses and Individuals!

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post